File income tax returns

Generally in conjunction with the decedent’s accountant, the executor should file the appropriate tax return(s). In most situations, hiring an accountant in the state of residency of the decedent is an excellent way to manage this process. There will likely be several items you need to gather for the accountant. The process will likely be similar to when you file your own tax returns.

You will need paperwork from employers, investments, interest-bearing bank accounts, charitable donations, etc. You should have a very good idea of everything you need because you found the assets earlier and kept good records along the way.